Monday, November 22, 2010

Day Fifty Four

Ahhh, the smells of Thanksgiving.  How much do we remember the traditions over time?  I think that the people and food stand out the most.  My grandparents always came for one of the holidays.  My Mother had just one brother and we would get Gma and Gpa for either Christmas or Thanksgiving each year.

I remember when Grandma would come, and bake.  She would fill our freezer with loaves of sweet rye bread, the kind that only she could make.  It smelled SO good and was savored as she only came one week out of the year.  She also made cinnamon rolls and some other treats, but oh that bread!!!  I sat in the kitchen watching her as she told me how to knead it, being careful not to overwork the dough or it would be tough.  Grandma did not have much to say about "life lessons" but surely did share her love of cooking and baking with me.  I miss her now, being a part of the family meals during the holidays.  She has been gone since I was pregnant with my first daughter over 21 years ago, but the memories of her linger. 

Sharing that theme, that same daughter loves how my own Mother creates BEAUTIFUL jello art...yes I said art as there is no other description.  Gma blows us away with her stunning creations, as we struggle with to cut into it or not.  As soon as the first serving is out, the rest is devoured.  But nobody wants to be the first to destroy the beauty.  Today I wanted to share a  digital page of my Mom, Grandma Ginny and her Jello art.  Guess what?  Although I am now using Memory Manager to sort and organize, edit and more with my photos I simply did not find.  Where are they?  I guess I have some more work to do...my memories are worth it!  Are yours?  DOWNLOAD MEMORY MANAGER and know find your photos in seconds.

This morning I received an email from a dear friend Becky.  She shared a beautiful Thanksgiving message that I am sharing with you regarding your memories.  Please take a minute to consider her advice.

Becky Wrote:

Hey Annette,
Here's a thought to include on your blog...Remember to take pictures of the FOOD - Before & After the meal.  Even though we gather to give thanks, we do it around the dining room table while consuming massive amounts of family favorites that are served only once a year.  Families need to remember the work that goes into preparing the meal, the quality time spent with 3 generations of women huddled around the stove and always commenting about great-gramma's jello salad.  After the meal, the men of the house retire to sit in front of the TV to allow their digestive tracks to process the food while watching football.  Meanwhile the women are shuffling back into the kitchen to clean up the mess and prepare the leftovers for another food-frenzy which will start in only a few hours when the football games are over.  These pictures need to be captured and the memories preserved for the next generation, who will one day take over and keep the family tradition alive.
Becky, thank you for sharing this with  me today!  I can only  hope that many online friends take your words to heart.  I hope that you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your friends and family!

Todays Quote:

The best way to get something done is to begin.  ~Author Unknown


No comments:

Post a Comment